Organic Fruit and Veg Box

by




Since I am on the topic of supporting local producers and idle attitude to shopping here is my organic fruit and veg box.

Rather than solely shopping in supermarkets, I try to do a lot of my shopping in small local shops. Meat, bread, milk, fruit, veg, cheese and even fresh pasta once in a while (yum). The only downside to this is that the shops are quite far from each other. If I had a car it would be much easier to do the weekly shop and drive around to pick up everything that I need. But since I don't have one, I take advantage of home deliveries.

I get most of my fruit and vegetables from Beanies, which is a local cooperative shop in Sheffield. They stock both organic and non organic produce, as well as a range of wholefoods and natural cleaning materials. If you live in the Sheffield area, have a mooch on their website for the cost and options of their delivery boxes. 

I get a large fruit and extra large veg box every two weeks. The good thing about this is that you never know what you are going to get and so it forces you to try cooking with new ingredients. I made a really tasty spiced red cabbage just before Christmas to try and use up unwanted cabbage. It turned out to be one of my new favourite dishes! If this Russian roulette with vegetables is a bit too much for you, you can always request items that you like.

I have requested that none of my produce comes wrapped in plastic so the staff put the veg lose or in a paper bag in a recycled box so there is no waste there! 

Why going more organic?

At the moment, organic fruit and vegetables are a bit more expensive than non organic ones. This is largely due to the fact that there is not that much demand for it. I am no economist but the more you buy it, the cheaper it will get.

In case you are interested- the total cost of both boxes is £27, but since I have it biweekly, it only works out as £13.50 a week. Not bad for a weekly fruit and veg shop in my opinion.

The number one reason for me to buy more organic fruit and veg is that I don’t want to be ‘’polluting’’ my body with pesticides. There is some evidence that pesticides can build up in the body over time. So the cocktail of chemicals that is being sprayed on all different produce ends up in your body. I would not be willing to eat any of those chemicals (obviously) so why would I want to have them as a condiment to my food?  

There is also evidence that pesticides from agricultural farms effect rivers and water bodies which in turn effect the quality of water that we use for drinking and bathing at home. The UK government is working with farms to reduce the amount of this kind of water pollution but it seems to me that the best way to do this is to support the organic farming industry. Whenever you shop and exchange money for something, you are essentially giving kudos to what you are buying and what you are really saying is ‘’can I have some more of this please? ‘’

Obviously there is a degree of being realistic with your finances. I still buy top ups like bananas and avocados from my local grocers (non organic) as we get through kilograms of both. But again this becomes the last resort rather than the usual choice.


P.S Buy more organic